- “Volunteering at Thomley gives me a chance to do something that feels worthwhile and helps other people. It gives me a chance to learn about children with special needs, their individual needs and ways of communicating, how they need to be looked after and about what it means to have autism or cerebral palsy. It is enjoyable seeing the kids have fun and getting to know the families.”
Volunteers are Thomley’s lifeline, enabling us to support 6,000 child visitors per year. This would not be possible without your generous donation of voluntary time.
As a volunteer, there is a huge array of tasks in which you could get involved. If you are interested, give us a call so that we can discuss how much time you have to offer and where your interests lie. Any experience working with children is a bonus, but not essential.
Read our Volunteer Policy
Current volunteer vacancies
- Thomley Speaker (pdf) - Give talks about Thomley to local clubs and societies
- eBay Volunteer (pdf) - Route through our loft and help us sell donated goods on eBay
- Volunteers interested in gardening and / or site maintenance – email: email@example.com
- Visitor Support Volunteer - Support visitors accessing Thomley on a regular basis
- Premises Volunteer – To support with site maintenance
- Volunteer Staff Playworker – Support the playwork team and provide a safe and fun experience for Thomley’s families
Other ways you could help us:
- Supporting visitors
- Preparing playwork activities, such as art and craft projects
- Motivating and supporting children of all abilities to participate in play activities, games and sports
- Helping with administration
- Organising an event
- Publicising Thomley
- Keeping on top of all kinds of other essential jobs… your day will never be boring!
Before starting work
- You will be asked to complete a brief volunteer application form and to provide two character references.
- We will carry out a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check at Enhanced Level authorising you to work with young people and vulnerable people. This process can take up to 2 months. Only following satisfactory receipt of your CRB disclosure can you begin work as a volunteer.
- You will be given comprehensive induction training. You will also be expected to read Thomley’s policies and procedures.